atomic_fungus (atomic_fungus) wrote,

#3955: Rain!


Yesterday, I see by rereading the previous post, I forgot to mention that I actually made two trips to the DMV. See, I rode out there, and got pre-screened, and as I was walking from there to the place where I'd wait to get a license plate sticker, I realized something important: The insurance card for the Jeep in my wallet is not the current one. So rather than wait to be called, only to be told I needed a current insurance card, I simply walked out the other door, put my kit back on, and rode home to get the current one.

Hell yes I rode the motorcycle. It was only in the mid-90s yesterday, and my previous experience with riding in hot weather had been a positive one, so WTH. Besides, with the holiday weekend upon us, gas in the Fungal Vale has risen to $4.009 per gallon (from about $3.739) and the Jeep still only gets a maximum of 15 MPG in city driving.

I rode the bike home, got the new card, rode back, and faced a longer pre-screening line. (This is when I heard the thing about kids partying too much, and a bit later saw the bureaucratic stupidity over the line.)

The problem that I have here is that the license plates expire in the same month that the insurance is up for renewal, and I can never remember to put the new card in my wallet. My insurance underwriter sends out bills and such stupidly far in advance--months!--so I can't just take the card out and replace it when the renewal comes, because it's typically six weeks or more before it'll even be valid. Like, it's late June, and the card doesn't become valid until mid-August. Argh etc.

"Carry 'em both," you say. Yes, that's the smart thing to do, and I have done it on occasion when it occurs to me, but this time around it did not. Argh etc.

Anyway, I got home from that and came into a deliciously cool house, and sat around in my underwear for a little while to cool off. I got involved with stuff, and the next thing I know it's 7:30 and looking a lot darker outside than it ought to, which is when I had a gander and saw it was raining. So I went outside, put the motorcycle away, dried it off, and then put the two big contractor trash bags of trash into the garbage toter, nearly filling it.

See: generally speaking you can't just put bagged trash out by the curb. The whole reason for switching the town to these toters is to make collecting trash on a particular route a one-man job. Instead of having a guy drive the truck and two guys hang off the back to throw in the bags, they have one guy driving and operating the gigantic robot hand that grabs toters and empties them into the truck. It's efficient, but the robot hand will just shred bags, so they must be in some kind of hard container.

And Thursday night, I was out of containers. The big bags were too big to fit into the remaining can, and anyway I was reserving that --

Whoops. Raining now, bright flash, nearly instantaneous BANG, power is out. *sigh*

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.