atomic_fungus (atomic_fungus) wrote,

#4281: THAT is a relief.

Well, we got power back sometime in the night. When we got back to the bunker this morning--sorry, yesterday morning, as this is being written at 12:30 AM on Friday--we were pleased to hear that no generators were running and the lights were on. Whee!

Figure not less than 48 hours without power, then. That's a close second to 10/97 in Cedar Rapids. On the plus side, the Ace in the Hole did a yeoman's job of keeping the basement un-flooded, and the ice I put in the downstairs freezer hardly melted at all, meaning the food I put in there is still good.

But it rained last night, and the back yard is still a swamp, so I didn't cut the grass today as intended. Maybe I can cut it tomorrow, and maybe I won't bother.

Work today--I got up a few minutes early and left early. The line at McDonald's was long and largely immobile, so I thought I'd cut out of there and hit the Wendy's near work instead.


...when I got to the road that the store's on I saw that the traffic was rapidly approaching singularity status, so I sighed unhappily and gave up on the idea of eating before starting work. Maybe Mrs. Fungus can bring me something, I thought.

She did, but I ended up having my breakfast--breakfast!--at 7:30 PM, at which point I had a raging headache and could barely concentrate on anything because of hypoglycemia.

When I was finally able to leave work (fifteen minutes after the scheduled time) I came home to a house bereft of groceries, because so much that was in the fridge ended up in the trash can. So Mrs. Fungus and I set out to restock, and that took a good amount of time to accomplish, which is why I'm only now writing Thursday's blog post early on Friday morning.

* * *

Incidentally, lifelong friend of the Fungus, Dennis, gets a shout-out for giving me a call while we were in the hotel and feeling depressed. That cheered me right up. Thanks, brother!

* * *

Monday evening, by the way, I purchased a Blu-Ray player. Ever since the last week of May and my disastrous attempts at upgrading the old computer I have had the birthday money from my mother-in-law burning a hole in my pocket, and after I checked the employee price for the one I bought--and asked my wife's opinion--I decided I'd go ahead and pick it up.

Did I have a chance to plug it in before the storms hit? Of course not, and no need to do so when there wasn't any power. I got home about 6:30 PM on Monday, and the power was out a scant hour later--and off for two days. Maybe tonight.


  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.