atomic_fungus (atomic_fungus) wrote,
atomic_fungus
atomic_fungus

#4851: 90%.

The last 10% is always the hardest, though.

So after having a liesurely pre-blog surf and doing nothing much important (mostly YouTube) for a while after eating, I hied myself out to the garage to see what kind of sense I could make of the Fiero.

As I'd predicted, reassembly didn't take very long. Mostly it was just figuring out where to lay the vacuum lines; the Fiero's 2.8 V6 has them all neatly clipped together, so all I had to do was to figure out the correct orientation, then get everything lined up. Had to reroute a few pipes, but otherwise that went smoothly enough.

Getting the EGR pipe attached to the manifold was a bitch, of course, but I got it done; I found that one gasket had stuck to the manifold at disassembly, so I do indeed need only one gasket. It's literally a $2 part and it's the only thing keeping me from attempting to start it today. Of course it is not available locally. Rockauto.com has it, though, so I'll be ordering it a little later on.

Got the upper plenum mounted to the lower, and all bolts snug. I'll torque them later, as I need to find a torque pattern, but since I'm not starting it today this isn't critical. Finally, for want of anything else that I could do--the battery needs to charge and I need the EGR gasket to go any further--I put the hood back on. I reached down the front of the engine and turned it a little bit, by hand, so--hallelujah!--it's not seized.

The only bolts I have left? The nut and stud for the air cleaner. Everything else is on the car. I'm not surprised, though. I took it apart in an evening, for crying out loud, and it just sat like that for four freakin' years.

I have a lot more work to do, of course. Once the engine is running I must attend to the brake problem, and change the oil, and clean clean clean clean clean, and give 'er a good waxing, and fix some other issues here and there.

* * *

The problem with having spare assemblies on hand: while digging through the trunk trying to sort out the various bits and pieces, I came across a distributor, complete with cap, and for a hideous, horrifying couple of minutes I thought I might have put in the wrong distributor. The one I found had no markings on it, which meant a bad couple of hours trying to find TDC and then reinstalling the distributor.

Then I saw that there was a distributor cap in the engine bay, still attached to half the plug wires; and since the distributor that I put it was lacking a cap--and its pickup coil still had the protective tape around the wires--I knew that I had indeed put in the correct distributor, and breathed a heavy sigh of relief. The one I'd found was my spare, thank all that's holy.

I have at least three complete sets of fuel injectors. I do believe that somewhere in the garage I also have a complete plenum for a V6, including throttle body. All that came from the '86, which (long-time readers may recall) I sold in 2009 for the princely sum of $100 as it was lacking its engine and transmission. Or maybe I threw the plenum in with that car? I can't recall, and it doesn't really matter anyway.

As soon as I cool off a bit (it's like 95 outside) I'm going to go attend to a few Jeeply matters. Whee!

Addendum:

1) I still can't find an EGR gasket for the thing. I can order one from Rockauto.com. The gasket costs $2; the shipping is $13. *sigh*

NAPA has them for $4.45 each...in quantities of 10. Argh.

2) Started doing the Jeepy things, and it started raining. It's stopped now, but I'm finishing up with ordering my EGR gasket. What a thrill.
Subscribe

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments