atomic_fungus (atomic_fungus) wrote,
atomic_fungus
atomic_fungus

#5627: Now THAT was a meal!

So, weeks and weeks ago Mrs. Fungus brought home a kebab set for the grill. She's been hinting rather strongly that she wanted me to use it ("I want kebabs!") so when I went shopping the other day I purchased things to make kebabs.

I used Og's recipe for the marinade:
1-1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup soy
1/4 cup worcestershire
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp mustard powder
2 tbsp parsley flakes
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 large garlic clove
The meat was a sizable chunk of chuck roast. I cut off the gristle and excess fat, leaving the well-marbled chunks to marinate in that mix for a few hours. (Overnight is better but I forgot to do it last night.)

Funny bit: I didn't have enough worcestershire, so I used A-1 to make up the difference. I also lacked mustard powder, to my surprise, so I used yellow mustard instead. Ended up using up the oil, worcestershire, red wine vinegar, and parsley to make this. Whisked it together, added the meat, into the fridge.

Mrs. Fungus got home at 8, so that was a good 3, 4 hours in the marinade. While she watched I put everything onto the skewers. This is a messy meal to make, by the way, because the skewered meat dripped all over the counter.

Anyway, grilled it--probably could have grilled it a bit longer, in fact, but Og had cautioned me against overcooking--and HOLY SHIT WAS IT DELICIOUS. I am not kidding; this was a restaurant-quality meal. I don't think I've ever made anything at home that tasted like this.

My wife was ecstatic over the meal, and I didn't disagree. So we will be doing this one again; count on it.

* * *

Did some more cleaning and organizing in the garage. Yesterday I reassembled the bike and checked the charging system; still not working, so today my aim was to extract the spare engine so I can get the rotor from it. Threw out more junk, organized a lot of stuff, cut down a crapton of boxes and tossed 'em. I crushed a year's worth of aluminum cans, too.

Finally pulled apart the spare front end Og gave me with the motorcycle. The front shocks are the kind that you can adjust the air pressure in, changing their stiffness, so I saved them in case I ever want to do that upgrade on my bike. Tossed the front fender. Pulled the brake cylinder and disk off the wheel, then knocked out the bearings, which are trash. I'm probably going to end up recycling the wheel because it's an 18-inch rim and my bike has a 19, which looks nicer.

Dug into the motor a bit. Found out how the timing chain tensioner works (best to do that on a scrap engine!) in the process of pulling the starter motor out--and then I discovered that the spare engine is not, after all, seized. The starter gear was in wrong; with that removed, I found that the crank moves quite freely (and the thing has good compression), and after fiddling with it for a bit I managed to get the transmission into neutral--and that part's not seized, either.

In all probability, given a few dozen parts, I have a good engine, here. The electrical system is mostly on the bike, the carbs need rebuilding, the intake tubes are shot--but it looks as if it could be made to run without a complete overhaul.

...which makes the idea of a cross kart rather attractive. I still have the tubing bender and the welder; I could probably fab up a frame in a weekend, given the materials.



Go to 4:45 for the walkaround of the thing. That would be sweet.

But I have lots of--too many--other things to do first.

Tomorrow I'm going to haul the metal recycling to the recycler, and I'm going to see what I need to do about the weeds growing out of the patio. The official Suzuki rotor removal tool is essentially a 16mm bolt with fine pitch right-hand threads, which means any 16mm bolt of sufficient length with right threads ought to do the job. So what I need to do:
1) Remove flywheel bolt from end of crankshaft
2) check thread pitch with tool from tap and die kit
3) go to hardware store and buy 16mm bolt with that thread pitch
3) Screw in bolt, hold flywheel with wrench, and turn bolt with another wrench until flywheel pops free.
That's about it. Nothing else required.

Hmm...ebay entries for the GS450 flywheel puller say 14mm, 1.5 pitch, rather than 16mm. Where did I get 16mm from...? Well, I believe the majority is correct, so perhaps I can just head over to the hardware store in tomorrow and see if they have a 14mm 1.5 pitch bolt, say about 6" long. That'd do. Just need to chamfer the end of it so it doesn't mess up the crankshaft snout, and then we're good to go.

Anyway, pull the flywheel out of the spare motor and off the bike and switch 'em, reassemble the bike and see if that makes any difference whatsoever. If it doesn't, admit defeat and seek professional help.

(Take the battery in to get checked, first. But that counts, I think.)

Who knows? If I get this fixed soon enough, I might actually get to ride my motorcycle this summer! Wouldn't that be a hoot?
Subscribe

  • #7750: I did it again!

    Got home from work, relaxed a little bit, then walked "uptown" to have a gander at the cruise night. * * * Big surprise that a white teacher in…

  • #7749: No, it didn't happen

    I did not fire up the grill and make burgers. I slept like a stone, and when I got up, we went to the laundromat, and then to Culver's. Oh well. *…

  • #7748: Decidedly warm outside, old boy

    Hit Jewel to get some sundries, including supplies for dinner. Gonna fire up the grill and make burgers, and if I'm feeling particularly plucky I…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments