1) Took out the hooks for the swag lamp; Mrs. Fungus doesn't like it and I'm indifferent about it. With the new overhead fixtures we're putting in, we shouldn't need it, anyway. Patched the holes in the ceiling.
2) Got started on family room walls, specifically the damaged drywall under the south windows. The place where the tape peeled off the joint, after examining it I realized I could basically re-tape it, so I spackled and used the reinforcing mesh and got it all spudged together. Then I turned my attention to another spot, which had been previously spackled by someone else; and as I examined it I found that a plug of spackle about an inch across and two inches long was basically loose. With a bit of prodding the plug came out entirely.
Behind it, the drywall was grey; this bit had been water damaged by a leaking windowsill. Poking and prodding at it, found that the damage was pretty extensive, so I ended up cutting a chunk of gypsum out of the wall about 7"x9". And it was by the floor, so it extended down past the baseboard.
Went to the 4'x4' chunk of drywall I'd bought, and checked a piece of the old drywall against it. Old drywall was thicker than new. Said some bad words. Measured with caliper, found that old drywall was 1/2" and the new stuff was more like 3/8", so I closed up the bunker and put on decent-looking clothes and went to Menards for some 1/2" drywall. Found a 2'x4' piece; it measured as 1/2" with the calipers, so I put it on my cart. Measured it again, and found that it was 3/8" thick.
Me: WTF? Did I grab the wrong piece?
Nope. Turns out that the long edges of drywall are tapered a bit, so that when you tape them, the resulting surface is relatively flat. I did not know that previously. My first measurement, with it on the shelf, had been in the middle of the sheet; the second measurement, on the cart, was one of the tapered edges.
Fair enough. Besides the sheet of drywall, I grabbed three new outlets, and a 4-pack of 100w equivalent LED bulbs. The outlets in the family room are all 52 years old, and if you breathe wrong on a cord that's plugged into one of them it will fall out. Paid $0.48 apiece for new outlets. At that price I may just go on a spree and replace them all.
Got home, prepared to move the 4'x4' chunk of drywall to the garage, and then noticed the size on the label: 1/2". Noticed the tapered edges, and said some very bad words.
Well, I have some extra, in case I need it; and if I don't, it can be the first bit I put up in the garage.
Cut a piece of drywall to fit the hole I'd made in the wall, and managed to get it mudded into place with the reinforcing tape and everything. The spackle does not look very good right now, but it ought to be pretty decently smooth once I sand it, which won't happen for a couple days as it needs to dry completely first.
3) Replaced the outlet nearest where I was working. Shut the power off and replaced it; this is the outlet into which we plug the subwoofer and the remote box for it, the dingus that lets me get away with having it on the other side of the room without having to run a friggin' cable over there. Prior to replacing that socket, all it took was for a cat to walk back there and step on a power cord, and it'd drop right out of the socket, but now that won't happen any longer.
I am thinking about running cables for speakers, though. It'd be nice to have full surround in there. Get some nice, small, and unobtrusive surround speakers and mount them near the ceiling. I'd need four of 'em; then add a center speaker and keep the remote for the sub. I can do that practically any time, but it'd be better to do it before painting. Sadly, there's currently no budget for home theater installation, so it'll have to wait. But it's not rocket science.
There are other places where I know I'll have to replace drywall. At least two in the master bath, for example, and the entire bathtub surround, and probably a couple others. Whee!