Did as outlined above and got no water from the other end of the hose, which is sitting at least 3-5 inches lower than the bottom of the pool and which is also not less than 18" lower than the height of the water.
No flow at all.
Without the hose, GUSSH it comes right out.
So what did I do? I went into my magic cabinet in the garage, where I store--among other things--the PVC fittings I use when I want to flush the Jeep's cooling system. Fit one over the end of the pump output hose, duct taped it in place, and hooked up the hose. Now there is a reasonable flow of water coming out of that hose, via the pump. It is not a large flow--maybe a gallon a minute--but it's good enough. I will shut it off before I go to bed. I don't expect the pool to be very far emptied by then, but that doesn't bother me; I'll restart it tomorrow and let it continue as long as the pump can draw. Once it can't, I can just let the remainder flow out of the drain ports into the lawn, because the ground is VERY DRY and it'll soak that right up.
If I had a spare working sump pump--but I don't, so this will have to do.
* * *
Mrs. Fungus wants me to shorten the other pendant lamp, so I went out to the garage and shortened a rod to the right length. As expected, applying heat to the end with the male fitting allowed me to just unscrew the thing, no fuss at all. Lopped it off, neatened up the cut with the bench grinder; now I'm waiting for the epoxy to cure, though it actually should be good enough now since I did all this before mucking with the pool.
* * *
Did not get as much done today as hoped. Too much running around, too much business stuff. Well, the end of this path is in sight, and then we'll have a grand old time.
There is, after all, a reason I am working so hard on home improvement.