We're finally having a rainy night. It's the first time it's really rained in a couple of weeks at least. No lightning or wind, just a quiet, steady rain. It's cool, so the fans are off.
So, Thursday I started work on masking the kitchen. I've used half a roll of tape, and I still have plenty of masking to do before I can even think about painting. I'll have to move the stove and refrigerator out of the kitchen entirely to paint behind them, too. Naturally I found plenty of things that needed spackling, including a honey of a crack between the soffet and the partition wall. I folded a hunk of reinforcing mesh and stuck it into that corner; that ought to do it.
Sanding will probably only take a few minutes with the orbital sander, especially since I'm no longer using Harbor Freight sandpaper. I ran out of that, put a 1/4 sheet of 3M on, and mirabile visu I was able to do more than a couple of spots before the sandpaper started loading up with little stromatolites of spackle dust, which I'd then have to pry off the sandpaper with my thumbnail.
The new color is called "lemon parsnips". It's a paler yellow than it is now. It should look very nice.
Gave some more thought to putting another outlet under the counter on the south side of the kitchen. It really wouldn't take a heck of a lot of work, and I already have at least ten feet of flex conduit in the garage--which is the most expensive part--so I'd just need the outlet box, the retaining clamps, an outlet, and a cover. Heck, it wouldn't be more than a couple feet of flex conduit. Hard part? That's an exterior wall, so I'd have to contend with insulation and moisture barrier.
Procedure: Turn off power. Pull socket out of upper box. Cut the hole where the new outlet will go. Affix retaining clamp to end of flex conduit, fish conduit up to existing box through hole, secure in place. Attach wires to socket. Put upper socket back in box. Cut conduit to length, affix retaining clamp, secure to new box. Secure box to stud in wall. Wire outlet, install in box. Check continuity with meter and ensure wiring is correct. Attach cover plates. Turn on power.
The really hard part is getting the hole in the wall in the right place, and the right size. But then I wouldn't have an extension cord for the subwoofer snaking past the counter.
Once the work is done on the partition wall, I'll be running cable for the Ethernet port, and wiring that up. I'll probably have to do about the same thing in here, swapping the coax plate for a coax-and-RJ45 plate; I don't think they put in a box when they did that, though, so I'll be doing approximately the same operation in here that I'll be doing to the partition wall. I'll patch that port directly to the router, and a $20 100 Mb switch will be enough for the other end.
I got to play WoW for a few minutes a few days ago. Literally a few minutes--I got on Ricaroo, went to Brewfest, then returned to Ironforge and logged out. Otherwise, the only things I've done at the computer are blogging and job-hunting. I've just been too damned busy for games. I may be able to relax a bit and play games this weekend, though--after I cut the grass and do car maintenance, that is. Whee!