atomic_fungus (atomic_fungus) wrote,

#7690: That took everything,

Doing the alternator in the wife's car did for my day, though. I had originally intended to work on a motorcycle or motorized bicycle tonight, after work. There had been some discussion of getting started on setting up the pool. But my wife needs her car.

Nice thing: replaced the alternator last in June of 2017, when it started making bad noises. "So, I put the alternator in, and it's a lifetime warranty part, so if it does this again, it's two hours and a trip to the parts store. No problem." So, the replacement part today did not cost me anything. And it was actually less than two hours; it took me half an hour to get the alternator out of the car and maybe an hour to get it back in, just because I had to grind a bushing a bit so it would fit over the mount on the engine, and then I had to get a nut off the battery hold-down. Oh, and all the bolts are fine-thread bolts, and getting the belt back on was an exercise in frustration.

The car now has twice the mileage on it than it did when I last replaced the alternator. If we keep it much longer I'm going to want to replace the serpentine belt.

* * *

Getting the nut off that hold-down: I wire-wheeled the rust off, hit the nut with a propane torch, and--to my surprise--it came off nicely, the way they're supposed to. Once I got it hot, it unscrewed very easily, just making a bit of noise as it did. Almost as if I knew what I was doing.

It'd be awfully nice if they all came off like that.

* * *

Anyway, it was a day of low humidity, and now it's getting very cool outside. Of course the tow truck had left the car in the driveway with its front end facing out, so I got to bake in the sun while working on the thing; naturally I was sweating like a pig even though it was actually a very comfortable day.

But once everything was back together it started right up, thanks to being on the battery charger the entire time I was working on it; the belt squealed a bit so I tightened it a bit more, and it was nice and quiet thereafter.

* * *

While I'm waiting for MangaDex to work the kinks out of their new site, I've been reading Horimiya, which is really really good.

* * *

Anyway, that's Tuesday. I really hope Wednesday is better.

  • #9228: AC ON!!

    Before going to bed, I set the house up for AC operation (changing unconditioned air returns, configuring thermostat, etc) and told Mrs. Fungus that…

  • #9227: THEY EMERGE!

    Oooh boy, do they: This is the north side of the tree in the front yard. This is the south side of the tree. Three of them moulting on…

  • #9226: I haven't managed THAT for a whle

    I slept until it was almost noon. I didn't get up at 3 or 4 or 5 AM and have a PBJ and go back to bed; I just got into bed and slept, punctuated only…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.