atomic_fungus (atomic_fungus) wrote,

#111: Looks Like I Need a New Cell Phone

My Nokia got wet. It's been wet before. The thing that annoys me the most is that I made a call on it, thinking it was dry, and it worked fine. But that was the last call I think that phone will ever make.

In November of 2002, I was preparing for a trip to, well, here, in order to have Thanksgiving dinner with my parents.

I didn't want my parents to know I had the '85 Fiero, yet. I'd bought it in May, and it was paid for. My purchase had been fueled, in part, by my belief that I ought to have a backup vehicle. In May of 2002, I had been laid off from my relatively high-paying technical writing job for seven months and was expecting to find a new job very soon. Well, that optimism had turned out to be overly optimistic; by the week of Thanksgiving in November, 2002, I had been unemployed for 13 months.

The Escort (the green one) had not had several maintenance items done for some time, so that Monday I took it to the shop to have them done--an alignment, tires rotated and balanced, etc--and the shop showed me that the rear springs were broken. They offered to replace springs and struts for some sum of money, but I decided to do the replacing myself. I had all of Tuesday to accomplish the task, and then I could get the alignment done Wednesday morning before leaving for Illinois.

Tuesday I went and bought the parts--new springs, new struts--and took advantage of AutoZone's tool loan program to borrow a strut spring compressor. I started with the left side, and it took just about forever. I had never replaced a spring or a Macpherson strut before, so I had to follow the manual and learn as I went. That wasn't a problem for me--about 90% of my mechanical skills are self-taught--but it takes longer that way.

I got the needed parts off the old assembly, and reassembled the whole thing, and got the upper mount bolted into the car...but I simply could not get the lower bolt holes to line up; the assembly was about 3/4 inch too long.

It was very late, I was tired, and couldn't think straight. The first strut had taken me at least two hours to do; how long would the second take? I had to get the left side put together before I could take the right side apart.

As an aside, let me add that I was working off the floor of my garage. I didn't have any kind of workbench, and when you do strut work you really need to have a vise and a workbench to bolt it to. I had neither.

So, I gave up. Wednesday morning I prepped the Fiero for the trip, and then went to Best Buy for a "pay as you go" cell phone. I had only had the Fiero for six months; I had no idea if it could make a 250-mile trip--but the Escort was currently undrivable and if I wanted to be there for Thanksgiving, I'd have to drive the Fiero.

That was how I got my Nokia. I've had it for almost four years and it's been perfectly acceptable; I'm one of those people who buys a cell phone to make the occasional phone call with. I don't buy it to take pictures, send e-mail, play music, play games, or use as a walkie-talkie. If I have a choice between the fanciest cell phone costing hundreds of dollars with a "required service commitment", or a $30 phone which is two or three technology generations old, I'll take the latter. I don't buy a phone for its coolness or its ability to serve as a fashion accessory. I don't care if its display is color or if I can download ringtones to it. I buy it for its efficiency as a communications device.

My TracFone cost $70 to buy, and then I bought an airtime card. From that point onward I had to spend on the order of $15 per month in airtime cards to keep the phone active. I never used all the minutes I accumulated, and they roll over, so I don't think I ever had less than two hours of talk time on that phone, even when I was using it a lot. The per-minute cost was rather high (on the order of $0.41 per minute) but on a month-to-month basis it was costing me around $0.50 per day to have a phone which would work anywhere in the United States.

That is cost-efficiency.

As for the Escort, it turned out that I had a jack stand in the wrong place. When I got back to work on the car the next week, I jacked the car up, moved the jack stand towards the center of the car about 2 inches, and was then able to move the control arm far down enough to slide the bolts in. And the right side took about 1/3 the time that the left side had taken.

  • #7871: What's broken NOW??

    Had to go to far off-site (soon to be main site) today, so I was able to see my new office. They've already got a nameplate outside it! How long has…

  • #7870: Heavy rain

    Probably the last thunderstorm of the year, hard rain. Weather site says "2 to 3 inches of rain"--for the day, I think--and I'm not inclined to doubt…

  • #7869: Here comes the rain (again)

    Up a bit after sunrise, did the pre-blog surf and found nothing I really wanted to comment about; but in the meantime the light coming in from…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.