SO I had to deal with it myself.
Now, Avast! didn't even see the damn thing. I downloaded A-squared and it saw it, but couldn't do anything about it. So I did a search on the virus name, and finally got some tools that--theoretically--could do something about it.
It all came down to a couple of rogue DLL files in the TEMP directory. I couldn't delete them; using a program called "KillBox" I was able to delete one of them, but not both.
Finally in a fit of desperation I did a safe boot to command prompt and tried deleting the files that way.
The OS let me delete them.
Now after a full virus scan, the system shows as not having any trojans on it.
Score one for me.