atomic_fungus (atomic_fungus) wrote,

#2444: Mom had a stroke.

Sometime Sunday night. Not sure of when, exactly, but it was around 8-ish that I realized she was having a problem.

She was aphasic--she could only speak nonsense--and confused. Naturally I called 911; they took her to the hospital.

...I just got home from there. Ten hours in the ER and still she hasn't got a room, though they were working on getting her taken up to the ICU when I finally realized that I had hit the hard limit of what I could endure and had to get out of there, go home, and rest.

My brother is supposed to be on call today, but he moved some things around and got some leeway; he left the ER around 1 AM and got a hotel room. I called him at 6:45 and told him I couldn't go any farther; he counseled me to go ahead and go home and get some rest, and he'd be in as soon as he could get there and see to it that Mom was settled in her room.

WTF could I do, anyway, besides sit there and watch her suffer and be miserable myself? Does it help anyone if I bash myself to pieces against a metaphorical concrete wall? All that would happen is for me to end up in the hospital myself, with "exhaustion" or God alone knows what other diagnosis.

Anyway: they tried the clot-busting drugs on her, but it doesn't seem to have helped--that's my own observation there, because I have absolutely no freakin' idea how that shit works. On the TV shows they always work like miracles--poof, you got the drug, zammo, you're better!--but I am skeptical about the reality of that. Anyway the ER staff gave absolutely no sign whatsoever that anything unusual was going on. (Of course. That's how they work.)

Those drugs have to be administered within 3 hours of the onset of the stroke; although I think Mom was okay before about eight o'clock I don't really know. I'm not even sure she was aware that she'd had a stroke, especially since the aphasia was the primary symptom and she's not in the habit of talking to herself.

So before I called 911 I had her do the FAST thing--face, arms, speech--and except for the aphasia she was fine; there was no obvious paralysis. Even so, I told her, "You're not speaking correctly and you seem confused, and those are symptoms of a stroke, so I'm calling 911." She agreed with me.


...and if I keep going, I'm going to start repeating myself. I'm exhausted; once I figure out what (if anything) I want to do about food, I'm hitting the sack.

Those who offer prayers and sympathy, consider yourself thanked in advance. I have no idea how much Internet stuff I'll be doing for the next few days.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

  • #7561: Busy, though pleasant

    Sunday, I changed the oil in Mrs. Fungus' car, assembled a new cat tree, and--spur of the moment--decided to bake Irish Soda Bread. Then washed the…

  • #7560: Trying enchiladas again

    Different recipe. We were supposed to go shopping last night, but Mrs. Fungus left her purse and both her personal and work phones at the office and…

  • #7559: Post-constitutional oligarchy?

    I don't know where to start with all this. I guess we can go, first off, with the democrat bill to nationalize all elections. It basically removes…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.